In november 1918, a few days before the end of the First World War, werd in Seaton Carow het 274 Squardron up. It was the bedeoling to fly on a coastal patrol Vimys, but the formation was canceled. On 15 June 1919 was 274 reformed into a Handley Page V/1500 unit in Bircham Newton. After a few months of training, the four-engined V/1500 was substituted for a smaller two-engined bomber. The squadron was disbanded on 30 January 1920 and the staff was transferred to the newly formed 207 Squadron.
On 19 August 1940, was 274 reformed in Amriya as a hunter suadron and consisted of:
It was also to the 274 connected to a French group of 80 Squadron arrived with two Morane 406S and two Potez 63-11's. The last plane left the squadron 28 Semptember and during October the 274 Squadron fully equipped with Hurricanes. In december fly of hunters over of Western Dessert and start with short breaks hunter defense in Egypte, to May 1942.
Of squadrons Hurricanes been called for bombing. It was an active role in a ground attack during the Battle of El Alamein and went haunting Libya when the 8th Army captured luchthanvens. When the 8th Army Tunisia beriekte, received 274 Squadron an air defense role; protecting convoys along the coast of Libya. They got some Spitfires in April 1943 are s, after they went to Cyprus in September, fully equipped with this type. In februari 1944 departed the 274 Squadron to Italy for two months and took part in flights over Yugoslavia and Albania before they left for England.
On 24 april 1944 wordt 274 Squadron brought together in Hornchurch with Spitfires and begin flights over northern France in preparation onthe invasion of Europe. After the air support during the Normandy landings, gets 274 Squadron Hawker Tempests, which are used against the flying bombs of Germans, de V1, until the afvuurplaatsen were taken by the army. At the end of September she 274 Squadron with the Second TAF to the lowlands and fly over Germany until the end of the war.
Early in September 1945 returned 274 Squadron back in Warmwell for armament training, The leaving groups in Germany. On 7 spetember 1945 was the 274 Squadron renumbered to 174 Squadron.